Gwendolyn W. Lewis
When presented with an opportunity, challenge, or high-stakes problem, there are always an abounding number of options; failure is never one of them.
This perspective shapes my approach to all new matters. I am committed to seeing a situation through to a successful end. I will always use my skills as a trial lawyer and strong communicator to advance the best interests of our clients. I joined Lincoln Derr, PLLC after serving as the civil trial team instructor and founding alumni director at Elon Law in Greensboro, North Carolina. Prior to my nonprofit higher education role, I worked in private practice, where my practice areas included civil litigation with a focus on employment law and business counsel.
While I originally hail from Richmond, Virginia, I earned my undergraduate degree, magna cum laude, from North Carolina A&T State University, with a major in Criminal Justice and a concentration in Spanish. I then earned my Juris Doctor degree from Elon Law. While in law school, I competed on the Moot Court Board, Mock Trial Competition team, and served as the first African-American Student Bar President of the student bar association. Additionally, to advance my technical skill, I served as a research assistant to a full professor and later served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Justice Paul Newby of the North Carolina Supreme Court. At graduation, I was inducted into the National Order of Barristers and received the North Carolina Advocates for Justice Student Advocacy Award, North Carolina Bar Association Certificate of Achievement for Pro Bono work, and the Elon University School of Law Distinguished Service Award.
I have what it takes, as an attorney and counselor-at-law, to creatively solve problems, create new opportunities, and achieve best results for our clients.
- North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University – B.S. 2009, magna cum laude
- Elon University School of Law – J.D. 2013
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina State Courts
- United States Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association, Site Co-Chair, 4All Statewide Service Day (2017)
- Greensboro Bar Association, Executive Board Member, Young Lawyers Section (2014-17)
- Greensboro Bar Association, Member, Nominating Committee (2017)
- Greensboro Bar Association, Member, Herb Falk Society (2016-17)
- Guilford County Association of Black Lawyers, Vice-President, (2016-17)
- Greensboro Bar Association, Chair, Holiday Party (2015-16)
Awards & Achievements
- Triad Business Journal, 40 Leaders Under Forty (2017)
- North Carolina Bar Association Leadership Academy (2016)
- Legal Elite, Employment Law, Business North Carolina, Top Tar Heel Lawyers, North Carolina (2015)
- Legal Elite, Young Guns, Business North Carolina, Top Tar Heel Lawyers, North Carolina (2015)
- Election as Student Bar Association (SBA) President (2013)
- Publication Research Credit in Leadership and Social Justice Lawyering, 52 Santa Clara L. Rev. 971, 1001 (2012)
- Co-Author of Best Brief Award at Regent University Leroy R. Hassell, Sr. National Constitutional Law Moot Court Competition.
- Guardian ad Litem Program
Pro bono service to North Carolina residents, through the NCBA, is soon to become even more accessible for North Carolina attorneys! Underway is a 2017-18 NCBA task force for the launch of a Free Legal Answers program (“FLA Program”). This program is designed to...read more