Tricia M. Derr
The euphemism “fire in the belly” speaks to me. I feel it every single day. I care. Seriously. I really care. Every win, honor, accomplishment, success or achievement in my career is the result of sheer determination, hard work and the belief that failure is not an option. “Fire in the belly” cannot be bought. I am not even sure it can be taught or generated. I just know I have it.
I love what I do. Not many people can honestly say that. I approach every single case differently with a focus on the client’s vision of success rather than my own. Context and perspective are two of the most important terms in my practice. I am dedicated to client driven advocacy interwoven with strategic legal direction.
In order to resolve a case successfully, you need to be prepared to try it. Experience matters. I have litigated hundreds of cases and spent thousands of hours in the courtroom. My clients range from individuals to international corporations. It doesn’t matter who you are. For me, what matters is how I can help you.
Business litigation is my specialty. Shareholder disputes, commercial real estate disputes, healthcare litigation (regulatory and malpractice based), financial services litigation and contract disputes are all areas where I have significant experience.
- B.A., English, 1994, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- J.D., 1997, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States Courts for the Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
- North Carolina Court of Appeals
- North Carolina Supreme Court
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Immediate Past President, Mecklenburg County Bar, 2015
- Chair, Nominating Committee, Mecklenburg County Bar, 2015
- President, Mecklenburg County Bar, 2014
- President-Elect, Mecklenburg County Bar, 2013
- Vice President, Mecklenburg County Bar 2011-2012
- Secretary, Mecklenburg County Bar, 2010-2011
- Board of Directors, Mecklenburg County Bar, 2007-2010
- Board of Directors, North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys, 2009-2012
- Chair, North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys Medical Malpractice Group, 2008
- Vice Chair, North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys Medical Malpractice Group, 2007
- Chair, CLE Subcommittee of the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys Medical Malpractice Practice Group, 2006
- North Carolina Bar Association Minority Focus Committee, Organizer for 2004 Minority Symposium
Articles & Speaking Engagements
- Derr, Tricia (2009 August). Passionate Justice: The Honorable Jesse B. Caldwell, III. The Mecklenburg County Bar News, 36(2), 1.
- Derr, Tricia (2008 January). From Journalist to Jurist. The Mecklenburg County Bar News, 34(7), 1.
- Derr, Tricia (2007 October). Nathaniel Poovey – An Appearance. The Mecklenburg County Bar News, 34(4), 1.
- Derr, Tricia (2007 July). A Starfish Story. The Mecklenburg County Bar News, 34(1), 1.
- Derr, Tricia (2006 December). Judge Diaz: The Not-So-Business Part. The Mecklenburg County Bar News, 33(6), 1.
- Derr, Tricia (2006 October). To Athens With Phil. The Mecklenburg County Bar News, 33(4), 1.
- Panelist, National Association of Minority and Women-Owned Law Firms ( “NAMWOLF”) Annual Meeting, (2017)
- Speaker, CMHA Pharmacy Department (2017)
- Speaker, North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys Annual Conference (2006)
- Speaker, North Carolina Area Health Education Centers Program, Med-Surg Rocks (2002, 2003)
Awards & Achievements
- Best Lawyers in America©, 24th Edition, Medical Malpractice – Defendants, Professional Malpractice – Defendants
- Top Lawyers of North Carolina ( 2016-2017)
- Top 50 Women North Carolina Super Lawyers (2016)
- Charlotte Magazine Top Attorneys In The Charlotte Area (2016)
- Martindale-Hubbell®, Top Attorney in North Carolina (2016 -2017)
- America’s Most Honored Professionals, Top 1% (2015-2017)
- Martindale-Hubbell®, Top Rated Lawyers in Litigation (2015)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® (2012 – 2017) (Selection criteria available at www.superlawyers.com)
- Martindale-Hubbell®, Bar Registry of Preeminent Women Lawyers™ (2011 – 2017)
- Legal Elite, Business North Carolina, Top Tar Heel Lawyers, North Carolina (2011)
- Super Lawyers®, Rising Star in Business Litigation, North Carolina (2009-2011)
Raise your hand if you have ever been angry at someone for praising your efforts – your work – your investment. Raise your hand if you have ever been annoyed because you received a thank you note. Raise your hand if you were ever offended by an...read more
We are responsible for ensuring the survival of our young lawyers. I cannot name one successful trial lawyer who did not receive coaching and mentoring from a more seasoned veteran. If you are one of the successful attorneys, by all means, “pay it forward.”read more
In the courtroom, timing is everything. Any “miss” is a costly one. Timing requires cadence. Execution of timing is one trial skill firmly rooted in pure experience.read more