Gwendolyn W. Lewis
When presented with an opportunity, challenge, or high-stakes problem, there are always an abounding number of options; failure is never one of them.
Gwendolyn W. Lewis is a litigator successfully representing individuals, businesses, and organizations in a wide range of areas including civil litigation, employment litigation, and professional liability litigation at the trial and appellate levels in both North Carolina and U.S. Federal Courts.
Ms. Lewis has experience successfully defending employers, individuals, and corporations in employment litigation and obtaining defense verdicts on behalf of physicians and hospitals in multi-million-dollar medical malpractice cases.
She faces opportunities, challenges, and high-stakes problems with the perspective that failure is never an option and she proceeds through mediation, arbitration, and trial with the best interest of her clients at the forefront of her decision-making.
She currently serves on the North Carolina Bar Association’s Board of Governors and its Foundation Board of Directors. She promotes pro bono and public service in many of her community activities and leads the NCBA’s Labor and Employment Section Pro Bono Committee. She also serves as a Board of Directors member for the Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy promoting access to justice for North Carolina citizens. She has been recognized by North Carolina Super Lawyer in Employment Law Defense and Rising Stars and has been elected to Business North Carolina magazine’s Legal Elite for Employment Law.
Hailing from Richmond, Virginia, Ms. Lewis earned her B.S. in Criminal Justice from North Carolina A&T State University and her J.D. from Elon University School of Law. She launched her career in Greensboro, North Carolina and later joined Lincoln Derr PLLC in Charlotte, North Carolina in April 2017.
- North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University – B.S. 2009, magna cum laude
- Elon University School of Law – J.D. 2013
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina State Courts
- United States Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- United States Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- Justice William Bobbitt Inn of Court, Barrister
- North Carolina Bar Foundation, Member, Board of Directors (2018-21)
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member, Board of Governors (2018-21)
- North Carolina Bar Association, Former Co-Chair, Communications and Newsletter Committee
- North Carolina Bar Association, Co-Chair, 4All Statewide Service Day (2018-19)
- North Carolina Bar Association, Co-Chair, Labor and Employment Pro Bono Committee (2018 -19)
- North Carolina Bar Association, Former Member, Free Legal Answers Task Force (2017-18)
- North Carolina Association For Defense Attorneys, Member, Diversity Committee (2018-19)
- Greensboro Bar Association, Former Executive Board Member, Young Lawyers Section
- Greensboro Bar Association, Former Member, Nominating Committee
- Greensboro Bar Association, Former Member, Herb Falk Society
- Greensboro Bar Association, Former Chair, Holiday Party
- Guilford County Association of Black Lawyers, Former Vice-President
Awards & Achievements
- Best Lawyers In America©, 27th Edition, Litigation- Health Care
- Best Lawyers In America©, 27th Edition, Litigation – Labor and Employment
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition, Listed Employment Litigation (2020)
- Legal Elite, Employment Law, Business North Carolina (2019)
- North Carolina Lawyers Weekly Leaders in the Law Award (2019)
- Best Lawyers In America©, 26th Edition, Litigation – Health Care
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition, Listed Employment Litigation (2019)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition, Listed Employment Litigation (2018)
- Triad Business Journal, 40 Leaders Under Forty (2017)
- North Carolina Bar Association Leadership Academy (2016)
- Legal Elite, Employment Law, Business North Carolina, Top Tar Heel Lawyers, North Carolina (2015)
- Legal Elite, Young Guns, Business North Carolina, Top Tar Heel Lawyers, North Carolina (2015)
- Election as Student Bar Association (SBA) President (2013)
- Publication Research Credit in Leadership and Social Justice Lawyering, 52 Santa Clara L. Rev. 971, 1001 (2012)
- Co-Author of Best Brief Award at Regent University Leroy R. Hassell, Sr. National Constitutional Law Moot Court Competition.
- Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy, Member, Board of Directors
- Guardian ad Litem Program
DARE TO CHANGE A DECADE CONSTANT: The Need To Increase Black Lawyer Representation in the Profession is Long Overdue As Black History Month comes to a close, and even as we continue a reflective look in the review mirror of 2020, what is revealed are collective...
We are pleased to announce that four Lincoln Derr attorneys have been selected to the 2021 North Carolina Super Lawyers and Rising Stars list. This is an exclusive list, recognizing no more than five percent of attorneys in the state. Super Lawyers, part of Thomson...
Lincoln Derr is proud to announce that Tricia Derr and Gwendolyn Lewis have been named as honorees of “Business North Carolina’s Legal Elite” by Business North Carolina Magazine. Both Ms. Derr and Ms. Lewis were listed for their work in the Litigation practice area....
While the Day may bear many names, it singularly represents our country’s second Independence Day. Today, it continues to serve as an important day of celebration and reflection in the African-American community. On June 19, 1865, Major General Gordon Granger and...
Dear Colleagues,While our profession as a whole has experienced many changes, central and unchanged among them has been its dedication to service and community. One of the foremost ways in which we have shown our dedication to these ideals is through pro...
On January 24, 2020, the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (“EEOC”) released its Enforcement and Litigation Data for Fiscal Year (“FY”) 2019, which began October 1, 2018, and ended September 30, 2019. The data reflects that the EEOC received 72,675...