Gwendolyn W. Lewis
When presented with an opportunity, challenge, or high-stakes problem, there are always an abounding number of options; failure is never one of them.
This perspective shapes my approach to all new matters. I am committed to seeing a situation through to a successful end. I will always use my skills as a trial lawyer and strong communicator to advance the best interests of our clients. I joined Lincoln Derr, PLLC after serving as the civil trial team instructor and founding alumni director at Elon Law in Greensboro, North Carolina. Prior to my nonprofit higher education role, I worked in private practice, where my practice areas included civil litigation with a focus on employment law and business counsel.
While I originally hail from Richmond, Virginia, I earned my undergraduate degree, magna cum laude, from North Carolina A&T State University, with a major in Criminal Justice and a concentration in Spanish. I then earned my Juris Doctor degree from Elon Law. While in law school, I competed on the Moot Court Board, Mock Trial Competition team, and served as the first African-American Student Bar President of the student bar association. Additionally, to advance my technical skill, I served as a research assistant to a full professor and later served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Justice Paul Newby of the North Carolina Supreme Court. At graduation, I was inducted into the National Order of Barristers and received the North Carolina Advocates for Justice Student Advocacy Award, North Carolina Bar Association Certificate of Achievement for Pro Bono work, and the Elon University School of Law Distinguished Service Award.
I have what it takes, as an attorney and counselor-at-law, to creatively solve problems, create new opportunities, and achieve best results for our clients.
- North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University – B.S. 2009, magna cum laude
- Elon University School of Law – J.D. 2013
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina State Courts
- United States Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- United States Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- Justice William Bobbitt Inn of Court, Barrister
- North Carolina Bar Foundation, Member, Board of Directors (2018-21)
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member, Board of Governors (2018-21)
- North Carolina Bar Association, Former Co-Chair, Communications and Newsletter Committee
- North Carolina Bar Association, Co-Chair, 4All Statewide Service Day (2018-19)
- North Carolina Bar Association, Co-Chair, Labor and Employment Pro Bono Committee (2018 -19)
- North Carolina Bar Association, Former Member, Free Legal Answers Task Force (2017-18)
- North Carolina Association For Defense Attorneys, Member, Diversity Committee (2018-19)
- Greensboro Bar Association, Former Executive Board Member, Young Lawyers Section
- Greensboro Bar Association, Former Member, Nominating Committee
- Greensboro Bar Association, Former Member, Herb Falk Society
- Greensboro Bar Association, Former Chair, Holiday Party
- Guilford County Association of Black Lawyers, Former Vice-President
Awards & Achievements
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition, Listed Employment Litigation (2018)
- Triad Business Journal, 40 Leaders Under Forty (2017)
- North Carolina Bar Association Leadership Academy (2016)
- Legal Elite, Employment Law, Business North Carolina, Top Tar Heel Lawyers, North Carolina (2015)
- Legal Elite, Young Guns, Business North Carolina, Top Tar Heel Lawyers, North Carolina (2015)
- Election as Student Bar Association (SBA) President (2013)
- Publication Research Credit in Leadership and Social Justice Lawyering, 52 Santa Clara L. Rev. 971, 1001 (2012)
- Co-Author of Best Brief Award at Regent University Leroy R. Hassell, Sr. National Constitutional Law Moot Court Competition.
- Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy, Member, Board of Directors
- Guardian ad Litem Program
We are proud to announce that four Lincoln Derr attorneys were included in the Super Lawyers® 2019 List. Firm co-founders, Sara Lincoln and Tricia Derr, were once again named to the Super Lawyers 2019 List and Gwendolyn W. Lewis and Jeremy Sugg have been named to the...read more
On Wednesday, November 14, 2018, after nearly three weeks of trial, a jury returned a unanimous defense verdict in favor of a Lincoln Derr client. By winning in the first phase of this bifurcated trial Lincoln Derr saved their clients from a potential 10...read more
Today I am excited to speak with you about the theory of the case and its construction. I plan to address the theory of the case briefly and then spend the majority of my time talking to you about the case construction bearing in mind the case theory. Whenever you are about to present your case to a jury or even in instances of a bench trial, your theory of the case is your version of what happened. Your goal is to illustrate your case theory through a thoughtful and persuasive case construction.read more