Sara R. Lincoln
I could see how they looked at me when I walked into a deposition or a courtroom more than 20 years ago, and I could tell what they were thinking: “Here comes the blonde; this should be easy.”
Little did they know that the blonde was actually enhanced, and they had no idea what brought me to this place. Opposing counsel, judges, witnesses, they all did it and I heard it every time: “It’s a lady lawyer. This won’t take long.”
Over the years the lawyers who have had the pleasure of opposing me have learned, but it took time. I could write a book about the efforts made along the way to try to beat me, to intimidate me (yes even using physical intimidation as a tactic). Instead, I just keep winning.
What they still don’t understand is that I started with virtually nothing and I prefer not to go back to that place. I will work harder, prepare more, and exhibit more grit than any lawyer, judge, or witness can throw back at me.
So, why pick me as your lawyer? Isn’t that why you are reading this? I don’t win every time, but when I lose I learn from every agonizing detail. I have been accused of treating my client’s money as if it was my own – as I recall the word “stingy” may have been involved. My clients refer to me as “fierce” (thank you, Jennifer Schenk). My opponents refer to me by names that cannot be repeated in decent company (and that I take as a compliment). I will take care of you, your company, your money, your reputation, whatever you need. My strength is that I figure that out, and I make sure to protect it with every ounce of my being.
- B.A., Wheaton College, 1990, cum laude
- J.D., University of Akron School of Law, 1993, magna cum laude; University of Akron Law Review
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina, 1996
- Ohio, 1993
- American College of Trial Lawyers Fellow, Inducted 2017
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- North Carolina Medical Society Joint Commission
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association- Civil Litigation Section
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association- Litigation Section
- American Health Lawyers
- Justice William Bobbitt Inn of Court, Barrister
- American College of Trial Lawyers, North Carolina State Committee (2020-2021)
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys, President-Elect (2020-2021)
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys, Executive Vice President (2019-2020)
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys, Secretary (2018-2019)
- Mecklenburg County Bar Apex Sub-Committee (2018)
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys, Board of Directors (2014 – 2020)
- North Carolina Association of Women Attorneys, Charlotte- Member of Taskforce (2007- 2009)
- Mecklenburg County Bar Diversity & Inclusion Committee (2016 – 2019)
- Mecklenburg County Bar Nominating Committee (2014)
- The Learning Society of Queens (2013-present)
- Junior Achievement of the Central Carolinas, Board Member (2007- 2010)
- Girls on the Run International, organizer and hostess for annual fundraiser (2004- 2006)
- Beverly Woods Elementary School, parent volunteer (2002- present)
- Chesterbrook Academy, parent volunteer (2001- 2006)
- Charlotte United Futbol Club, Team Manager, CUFC Harris YMCA Girls U10 White (2007- 2008)
Awards & Achievements
- Top 50 Women Attorneys, Charlotte Magazine 2020
- Best Lawyers In America©, 26th Edition, Medical Malpractice – Defendants, Professional Malpractice – Defendants, and Commercial Litigation
- Top 50 Women Attorneys, Charlotte Magazine 2019
- American College of Trial Lawyers Fellow, Inducted 2017
- Best Lawyers In America©, 24th & 25th Edition, Medical Malpractice – Defendants, Professional Malpractice – Defendants
- Top 50 Women North Carolina Super Lawyers (2015 – 2019)
- Top 100 North Carolina Super Lawyers (2015)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® (2007- 2019) (Selection criteria available at www.superlawyers.com)
- NC Legal Elite – Litigation
- Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Women
- Top 25 Charlotte North Carolina Super Lawyers (2015)
Depose Witnesses Remotely at your own Risk. On March 27, 2020 as Governor Roy Cooper’s Stay at Home Order went into effect, I was fielding requests from other North Carolina lawyers to move forward with depositions. The push was on to try to keep cases moving forward....
Excerpt from "For Litigators, COVID-19 has changed everything" published in North Carolina Lawyers Weekly on March 25, 2020. Mediations and more A lot of mediations and other forms of dispute resolution have been placed on hold as well. Some insurance carriers are...
Lincoln Derr Co-Founder, Sara Lincoln, was recently featured in the new Mecklenburg County podcast, The 26th. She shares her professional journey and how she started her career during the economic downturn in 1993. Despite growing expenses, she was able to slowly...
Lincoln Derr was recently recognized as one of the most diverse law firms in Charlotte. Our equity membership is 100% female, as are 80% of our attorneys. Granted, we are small, and as Benjamin Disraeli (and many others that have laid claim to...
We are pleased to announce that four Lincoln Derr attorneys have been selected to the 2020 North Carolina Super Lawyers list. This is an exclusive list, recognizing no more than five percent of attorneys in the state.
It is a high honor that Tricia Derr and Sara Lincoln were named to Top Lists, which is a distinction held by an elite group of recognized North Carolina attorneys.
Hot coffee, surgical conflicts of interest — these are (some of) our favorite stories from a decade of courtroom victories. It’s been a decade since Sara Lincoln and Tricia Derr founded our law firm, Lincoln Derr. In that time, they’ve built a team of attorneys and paralegals. They’ve moved offices, brought on new clients and cases, and done more than their fair share of time in the courtroom.
All of that time and effort has led to no shortage of stories.