Sara R. Lincoln
I could see how they looked at me when I walked into a deposition or a courtroom more than 20 years ago, and I could tell what they were thinking: “Here comes the blonde; this should be easy.”
Little did they know that the blonde was actually enhanced, and they had no idea what brought me to this place. Opposing counsel, judges, witnesses, they all did it and I heard it every time: “It’s a lady lawyer. This won’t take long.”
Over the years the lawyers who have had the pleasure of opposing me have learned, but it took time. I could write a book about the efforts made along the way to try to beat me, to intimidate me (yes even using physical intimidation as a tactic). Instead, I just keep winning.
What they still don’t understand is that I started with virtually nothing and I prefer not to go back to that place. I will work harder, prepare more, and exhibit more grit than any lawyer, judge, or witness can throw back at me.
So, why pick me as your lawyer? Isn’t that why you are reading this? I don’t win every time, but when I lose I learn from every agonizing detail. I have been accused of treating my client’s money as if it was my own – as I recall the word “stingy” may have been involved. My clients refer to me as “fierce” (thank you, Jennifer Schenk). My opponents refer to me by names that cannot be repeated in decent company (and that I take it as a compliment). I will take care of you, your company, your money, your reputation, whatever you need. My strength is that I figure that out, and I make sure to protect it with every ounce of my being.
- B.A., Wheaton College, 1990, cum laude
- J.D., University of Akron School of Law, 1993, magna cum laude; University of Akron Law Review
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina, 1996
- Ohio, 1993
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- North Carolina Medical Society Joint Commission
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association- Civil Litigation Section
- North Carolina Association of Women Attorneys, Charlotte- Member of Taskforce (2007- 2009)
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association- Litigation Section
- American Health Lawyers
- Justice William Bobbitt Inn of Court, Barrister
- Mecklenburg County Bar Diversity & Inclusion Committee (2016)
- Mecklenburg County Bar Nominating Committee (2014)
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys, Board of Directors (2014 – 2017)
- The Learning Society of Queens (2013-present)
- Junior Achievement of the Central Carolinas, Board Member (2007- 2010)
- Girls on the Run International, organizer and hostess for annual fundraiser (2004- 2006)
- Beverly Woods Elementary School, parent volunteer (2002- present)
- Chesterbrook Academy, parent volunteer (2001- 2006)
- Charlotte United Futbol Club, Team Manager, CUFC Harris YMCA Girls U10 White (2007- 2008)
Awards & Achievements
- Best Layers In America©, 26th Edition, Medical Malpractice – Defendants, Professional Malpractice – Defendants, and Commercial Litigation
- Top 50 Women Attorneys, Charlotte Magazine 2019
- American College of Trial Lawyers Fellow, Inducted 2017
- Best Layers In America©, 24th & 25th Edition, Medical Malpractice – Defendants, Professional Malpractice – Defendants
- Top 50 Women North Carolina Super Lawyers (2015 – 2019)
- Top 100 North Carolina Super Lawyers (2015)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® (2007- 2019) (Selection criteria available at www.superlawyers.com)
- NC Legal Elite – Litigation
- Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Women
- Top 25 Charlotte North Carolina Super Lawyers (2015)
These days, everyone seems to be looking for a niche — an area of specialization where they can plant their stake in the ground and lay claim as the foremost expert. We don’t do that. It’s not because we lack expertise or because we want…
Article originally published in the August 2019 Edition of North Carolina Lawyers Weekly Magazine When Sara Lincoln scored an A in a law class as an undergraduate psychology student at Wheaton College, her professor encouraged her to go to law school.“That...
On Monday, September 9, 2019 after two weeks of trial, a jury returned a unanimous verdict in favor of a Lincoln Derr client.The jury in this case deliberated for only one hour and forty minutes before returning to the courtroom answering the first issue...
Congratulations to Lincoln Derr attorneys Sara Lincoln, Tricia Derr and Gwendolyn W. Lewis for being recognized in the 26th Edition of Best Lawyers® in America. A special mention goes out to Tricia Derr for being named "Lawyer of the Year" in the area...
They called us “the estrogen law firm.” Ten years ago, we broke away from our big jobs in corporate law to start our own firm. At the time, 31 percentof the lawyers in this country were women. A decade later, that number is just 36 percent. The law was then and is now a male-dominated industry, and those men couldn’t understand why two women who had gained entrance to the boys’ club would want to give it up.
We are proud to announce that Sara Lincoln will serve as the incoming Executive Vice President for the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys (NCADA). Her term as a member of the Executive Committee runs through June of 2020. "I am humbled to have been...