I find success in looking at issues and coming up with realistic and workable recommendations keeping my clients’ interests in mind. I strive to find the right result for the case—both inside and outside of the courtroom—and have success applying novel and creative solutions.
I have represented large and small clients from large financial institutions and electric utilities to small companies and business owners, and I provide the same level of service for every client. I have litigated hundreds of cases and appeals all over the country. I constantly shift my strategy to meet the needs of the case and the client. Being responsive and thinking through issues before they arise is what gives me the edge in a case.
I have worked for two federal judges and learned what judges look for and how they evaluate a case from the bench. That experience influences the approach and strategies I employ to achieve favorable outcomes. I have gained long-term case perspective from handling numerous appeals in both state and federal courts. Seeing a case from the point of view of an appellate judge is vastly different than the view of the evidence in the lower courts. Strategically picking issues to gain the attention of an appellate judge can alter the way you present the issues below and ultimately create success on appeal.
While I have handled all types of cases, business litigation comprises the majority of my work. Whether it is working for a business defending against a breach of contract action, preparing a witness for a deposition or an interview in connection with an investigation, or responding to a subpoena on behalf of a company, I take every matter seriously and bring my unique experience to the counsel I provide.
- Davidson College – B.A. Political Science, 2000
- University of South Carolina School of Law – J.D. 2006, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western and Eastern Districts of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- Mecklenburg County Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference
- Law Clerk to Chief Judge Robert J. Conrad, Jr. – U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina, 2007-2009
- Law Clerk to Judge William B. Traxler, Jr. – U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 2006-2007
Awards & Achievements
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Wig and Robe
- Senior Articles Editor, South Carolina Law Review
- Editor’s Award, South Carolina Law Review
- Published, 56 C. L. Rev. 779 (2005)
- Johnston YMCA – 2014 – Present, Member of the Board of Managers, Financial Development Chair
- Dee Norton Low Country Children’s Center – 2014- Present, Member of the Board of Advocates