Tricia M. Derr
The euphemism “fire in the belly” speaks to me. I feel it every single day. I care. Seriously. I really care. Every win, honor, accomplishment, success or achievement in my career is the result of sheer determination, hard work and the belief that failure is not an option. “Fire in the belly” cannot be bought. I am not even sure it can be taught or generated. I just know I have it.
I love what I do. Not many people can honestly say that. I approach every single case differently with a focus on the client’s vision of success rather than my own. Context and perspective are two of the most important terms in my practice. I am dedicated to client-driven advocacy interwoven with strategic legal direction.
In order to resolve a case successfully, you need to be prepared to try it. Experience matters. I have litigated hundreds of cases and spent thousands of hours in the courtroom. My clients range from individuals to international corporations. It doesn’t matter who you are. For me, what matters is how I can help you.
Business litigation is my specialty. Shareholder disputes, commercial real estate disputes, healthcare litigation (regulatory and malpractice based), financial services litigation and contract disputes are all areas where I have significant experience.
- B.A., English, 1994, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- J.D., 1997, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- North Carolina Court of Appeals
- North Carolina Supreme Court
- United States Courts for the Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Immediate Past President, Mecklenburg County Bar, 2015
- Chair, Nominating Committee, Mecklenburg County Bar, 2015
- President, Mecklenburg County Bar, 2014
- President-Elect, Mecklenburg County Bar, 2013
- Vice President, Mecklenburg County Bar 2011-2012
- Secretary, Mecklenburg County Bar, 2010-2011
- Board of Directors, Mecklenburg County Bar, 2007-2010
- Board of Directors, North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys, 2009-2012
- Chair, North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys Medical Malpractice Group, 2008
- Vice Chair, North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys Medical Malpractice Group, 2007
- Chair, CLE Subcommittee of the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys Medical Malpractice Practice Group, 2006
- North Carolina Bar Association Minority Focus Committee, Organizer for 2004 Minority Symposium
Articles & Speaking Engagements
- Derr, Tricia (2009 August). Passionate Justice: The Honorable Jesse B. Caldwell, III. The Mecklenburg County Bar News, 36(2), 1.
- Derr, Tricia (2008 January). From Journalist to Jurist. The Mecklenburg County Bar News, 34(7), 1.
- Derr, Tricia (2007 October). Nathaniel Poovey – An Appearance. The Mecklenburg County Bar News, 34(4), 1.
- Derr, Tricia (2007 July). A Starfish Story. The Mecklenburg County Bar News, 34(1), 1.
- Derr, Tricia (2006 December). Judge Diaz: The Not-So-Business Part. The Mecklenburg County Bar News, 33(6), 1.
- Derr, Tricia (2006 October). To Athens With Phil. The Mecklenburg County Bar News, 33(4), 1.
- Panelist, National Association of Minority and Women-Owned Law Firms ( “NAMWOLF”) Annual Meeting, (2017)
- Speaker, CMHA Pharmacy Department (2017)
- Speaker, North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys Annual Conference (2006)
- Speaker, North Carolina Area Health Education Centers Program, Med-Surg Rocks (2002, 2003)
Awards & Achievements
- Top 25 Charlotte Super Lawyers® (2020)
- Top 50 North Carolina Women Super Lawyers® (2020)
- Top 100 North Carolina Super Lawyers® (2020)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® (2012 – 2020) (Selection criteria available at www.superlawyers.com)
- Best Lawyers in America©, 26th Edition, Lawyer of the Year, North Carolina
- Best Lawyers in America©, 26th Edition, Medical Malpractice – Defendants, Professional Malpractice – Defendants, Commercial Litigation, Health Care Law, Litigation – Health Care, and Personal Injury Litigation
- Best Lawyers in America©, 24th & 25th Edition, Medical Malpractice – Defendants, Professional Malpractice – Defendants
- Top Lawyers of North Carolina ( 2016-2017)
- Top 50 Women North Carolina Super Lawyers (2016)
- Charlotte Magazine Top Attorneys In The Charlotte Area (2016)
- Martindale-Hubbell®, Top Attorney in North Carolina (2016 -2017)
- America’s Most Honored Professionals, Top 1% (2015-2017)
- Martindale-Hubbell®, Top Rated Lawyers in Litigation (2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell®, Bar Registry of Preeminent Women Lawyers™ (2011 – 2017)
- Legal Elite, Business North Carolina, Top Tar Heel Lawyers, North Carolina (2011)
- Super Lawyers®, Rising Star in Business Litigation, North Carolina (2009-2011)
Congratulations to Sara Lincoln, Tricia Derr, Scott Addison and Gwendolyn Lewis for being recognized in the 28th Edition of Best Lawyers in America©. A special acknowledgment goes out to Lincoln Derr Co-Founder Tricia Derr for being recognized as Best Lawyers®...
In this episode of Trying 2 Win, Sara Lincoln and Tricia Derr, sit down with attorneys Heather Fuller and Phoebe Coddington to discuss the do’s and don’ts of the virtual courtroom.
We are pleased to announce that four Lincoln Derr attorneys have been selected to the 2021 North Carolina Super Lawyers and Rising Stars list. This is an exclusive list, recognizing no more than five percent of attorneys in the state. Super Lawyers, part of Thomson...
I heard about The Hon. Phillip Howerton’s death in an email to Mecklenburg County Bar (MCB) Past Presidents. His daughter Ashely and I grew up in Charlotte and have crossed paths from childhood through today. Ashley’s mother, Mary, was the Executive Director of the...
Lincoln Derr is proud to announce that Tricia Derr and Gwendolyn Lewis have been named as honorees of “Business North Carolina’s Legal Elite” by Business North Carolina Magazine. Both Ms. Derr and Ms. Lewis were listed for their work in the Litigation practice area....
When I meet with a prospective client, one of the first questions I ask is, “Have you talked to any other lawyers yet?”If the answer is no, I (kindly) advise them to do just that — to identify three other attorneys and interview them. I’ll even…